Social Icons

Pages

Monday, August 01, 2005

...but do they have the pure strength of will?




What's worse than an Aldi opening up across the street from Wal-Mart? Answer: an Aldi that's open on Sundays.
It just seems so wrong to me.



Things they sure are a-changin' in OKC.

I really have no interesting pictures from the family gathering I went to today, but I went for a drive after it was over and noticed the surprising new addition to the traffic logistics nightmare that Penn Ave and Memorial Rd have become (Super Target, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Sam's Club, Old Navy...and a crapload of other crap all within a stone's throw of each other).

Since my return, I've managed to avoid the area until someone told me I should go up there to see all the new shit they've built (there's now a Best Buy there, too). I must admit, I was pretty surprised to see the Aldi there. I think that takes some balls, considering the location. It looks like Germany's richest family is taking on America's richest family like straight head-to-head.

Last summer there were only 2 Aldi's in the entire state. One in Broken Arrow, OK and the other in Oklahoma City. Now, a year later there are 10 branches statewide (6 of which are in the OKC Metro Area). Not nearly enough to compete with Wally World ... but maybe just give them some time?

This ought to be interesting.

But like so many things in life...probably only to me

No comments: