Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Filter Post #19 - Mean Aunty Ray-Ray

My sister Gillian came over with her little rugrats the other day and my niece Gabi, reminded me that she's turning 8-years-old on the 20th.

It was just one of many reminders that I'm not getting any younger. And, as a matter of fact, I'm the same age now that Gillian was when she had Gabi. Note: This doesn't indicate a departure from my "I don't want to have children" stance...it's just something that occured to me a little while ago.

The good thing about having so many brothers and sisters (especially older ones) is that I feel zero pressure to pass on the family genes. If anything, it makes me think that the last thing we need in my family is more people.

Gabi makes me feel old, because I was there -- literally in the delivery room -- while she was being born. To this day, I think it's one of the most traumatizing things that has ever happened to me (even more so than the time I got swept away in a fast moving river current and almost drowned). Sure, I wasn't the one giving birth...but still...*shudder*

The funny thing is...the kid's not my oldest (or only) niece. She's just the first one that I've gotten to watch grow up (granted you don't count all that time I was away at college and in Germany and stuff). When I became an aunt for the first time, I was the same age that Gabi is right now. I just didn't have to think about it back then. It's a fact: 7-year-olds make shitty aunts.

But now I'm 24-years old and I have 4 nieces and 5 nephews (maybe 6), ranging in age from 17 to 6. That's enough kids to form a troupe of backup dancers for my stage show.

Anyway, no rant or anything like that here...just wanted to share this with y'all.

No comments: