Social Icons

Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Pot roast




Robbyn says, "Recipes are for white people."
Image hosting by Photobucket


I (almost) totally forgot that today is my brother Junior's birthday. I haven't talked with him in a minute, so Robbyn called him up tonight and we had a little chat. Turns out, in addition to being an Army vet, dentistry student, talented artist and former breakdancer...now he's just starting to play the guitar in a jazz band...damn you, bro...and, um, happy birthday.

Now that I have that out of the way. I'd like to tell you about a little conversation that I had with André this afternoon. It went a little like this:

Him: BROOOOOOKS!
Me: SCHMIIIIIDT!

*an eternity of silence*

Me: I don't really have anything to say.
Him: Me neither.
Me: I have to start dinner.
Him: What are you making?
Me: A pot roast.
Him: What's that?
Me: Beef...and vegetables...in a pot...that you put in the oven...
Him: Like a beef casserole?
Me: No, not like a beef casserole.

In fact, it goes a little something like this:






Raw slab of meat, veggies, seasonings, etc. -- sear that meat on both sides in a frying pan on the stove.
Image hosting by Photobucket






Toss browned meat slab in a roasting pan, add veggies, pop that ish in the oven for a while
Image hosting by Photobucket


Here's the part that André would object to...because he doesn't like mushrooms...but I do and it's my dinner.




Top that bad-boy off with sauteed mushrooms in gravy and mashed taters and some green salad junk on the side...voila! An American(?) classic. I don't know why I have mashed potatoes and red potatoes either... I think it has to do with presence of gravy.
Image hosting by Photobucket


This kind of reminds me about when I was watching Court TV last week. Nancy Grace was yammering on about the dude who went missing on his honeymoon. Apparently the guys who were last seen with the missing dude had ordered an ass-load of room service around the time of the man's disappearance and had taken pictures of the spread which were supposed to serve as their alibi. The Court TV commentators were all perplexed as to why someone would go around taking pictures of their food.

Eh, it happens, bitches...

No comments: