Social Icons

Pages

Monday, December 25, 2006

Standing Room Only

So, here's a brief rundown of the past few days:

Wednesday:

Went to the Curse concert in the Fabrik. Hooray for the guestlist! I took a picture with DJ GQ. It was his birthday and he's way dreamy. However, since I didn't want to look like a complete tool asking for his photo, I had Fatma (a colleague from work) tell him that it was my birthday, too. Later, I didn't feel so bad about the fib, since he told me he had just turned 20... which means when I saw him 5 years ago he would have been 15 and I find that to be un-possible. He was probably just foxin with me because my lies are so transparent. Oh well, at least he smelled real nice.

Thursday:

Watched the rest of the episodes from the first season of Heroes. In hindsight, I probably should have rationed the viewings...

Friday:

We had a special Christmas breakfast at FHHM, no actual work got accomplished, but I did learn some interesting things about the people who held my position before me. Namely that they were either complete idiots or completely insane. Now I understand why people are amazed when I complete the simplest of tasks. Before, I thought that they thought I was just some kind of retarded American (like in a "Sehr gut, Behindie" way).

Later I went to the X-Mas Jam with Fatma and Trini Mutti. It was lame. Very lame. But I didn't have to pay the 18 euro cover...so at least I was just wasting time and not money. The alternative was to meet up with Benny and hear some techno/house music. As tempting an offer as it was, I had to decline...I don't do techno and/or house.

Saturday:

Woke up bright and early to find the FedEx depot, so that I could pick up something that only MissFee could have sent. For once in my life, I didn't get lost en route. However, I did decide that I hate HVV.de for giving wildly inaccurate estimates of the amount of time it takes to get from the destination bus stop to the actual destination address. Still, I didn't come away empty-handed and I got a CD from MissFee in a Happy Birthday Jesus gift bag. The menorah sticker keeping the bag closed was a very nice touch. Thanks!

Attended to Seven's annual gospel concert in the Museum fuer Voelkerkunde. It was awesome. She ripped the shit out of some Amazing Grace.

After the concert, Andre, (Seven's friend) Zoran and I headed to the Schanze to meet up with Wonfuzius and Co for some drinks. Along the way, we were joking about how all the bars in the area are basically yuppie/hipster-y/chi-chi. I think it even beats out Eppendorf in terms of yuppie-density. So, I commented to the guys that one would be hard-pressed to find a non-yuppie bar/shop in the Schanze and about five minutes later we walked by this construction trailer with a little chalkboard propped up outside that read: "Blues tonight" or something like that.

We could hear the music and see some of the people, but I wasn't totally sure if it was like a private party or not. However, Andre and Zoran wanted to check it out, so in we went. It was literally like 10-15 people packed into this trailer, a dude playing an ass-load of Johnny Cash tunes on a teeny stage, and a bar with a little fridge.

We ended up staying for almost 2 hours. In the middle of the blues set, this American guy stood up and annouced in English that it was his first time/night in Hamburg and how he appreciated the Germans for appreciating the blues. He went on for about 5 minutes, saying that he was about to leave, but after his speech, he ended up saying for another half hour. Then there was this older German guy, with kind of a heavy Hamburg accent, who kept saying the most random things in English. And after a particularly moving song, he would clap his hands together kind of slow, but hard and shout, "Sweet ass! Sweet ass! Oh, sweet ass!"

"Sweet ass!" has now replaced "Byaaah!" as our exclamation of choice.

Sunday:

The main Christmas celebration in Germany takes place on December 24th. Since I'm out-numbered in the opinion that I'd rather celebrate on the 25th, I just go with the flow. Normally it's just me Wonfuzius and Andre eating the traditional Christmas Tacos, this year we had 3 extra people...including Papa Schmidt who drove all the way up from Dortmund bearing gifts of candy and frozen meats to be consumed at a later time. Also he made us gingerbread houses.

Here's my official statement about Papa S.: He's a nice guy who means well, but is from a very different generation. A generation that sometimes appears to talk a lot (of what can only be classified as) "crazy talk". My dad does it too. Stuff where you think to yourself, "Whaaaa...?!" But you have to put it all in perspective. They're not so much about engaging in conversation... they just want to be listened to, if only for a brief moment. I'll humor Papa Schmidt, 'cause he's good people.

Also Wonfuzius' sister's boyfriend looks like Jimmy Fallon. I think this everytime I see him.

Today:

Is Christmas. I have no plans...except maybe kick it at Andre's and watch movies and maybe defrost some of that meat. Oh...and drink some alcohol.

Maybe.

Anyway.... wherever, however and whatever you're celebrating, I wish you the best for you and yours.

No comments: