Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

I'm retarded (and other not so surprising revelations)

After consuming countless beers, one Mexikaner, and 2 delicious Hesburgers yesterday night, I'm kinda back and semi-among the living. I'll tell you one thing though, I should not have capped off the evening with that Mexikaner...it was, as the Germans say, the drop that brings the barrel to overflowing. But that's why I think God invented Finnish fast food burger chains that are conveniently located in the direction of home.

Just as an aside, I don't recall if I've ever discussed this with anyone, but I vaguely remember holding a conversation with somebody a long time ago about how Mexikaner (or "Mexican" in German) is, in a way, kind of a racist name for a drink. Maybe it was in a dream...? I mean it's basically just a Bloody Mary, but a shot instead of a whole glass... At any rate, despite all that, I still see a few Mexicans in my future.

I managed to bring my camera with my last night to Benny's birthday bash in the Nachtlager. However, I also managed to not put in fresh batteries, so I was able to take approximately one photo before my camera died and I can't even upload until Schmidt gets home.

It was fun, though. Sometimes I think it's so bizzare how I continue to meet the most random people ever.

In closing, I would just like to say how I have very mixed feelings about birthday celebrations in Germany. In the States, when it's your birthday, it's not uncommon that your friends take you out to dinner and then get you plastered. But here in Germany, it's like the complete opposite. It's your job to get all of your friends shit-faced drunk.

I'm not trying to be facetious or sarcastic, but I would seriously like to know what the (perhaps cultural?) reasoning/logic behind this is...if any of you can explain, that'd be fab and I would spend you a beer.

That said, I'd like to thank Benny who sponsored the evening's activities. It was a pretty rad night.

No comments: