Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Schmidt doesn't believe in "sleeping in"


I've somewhat come to terms with the fact that I can't upload any of the pictures from my shitty camera and I've been using Pickles' phone so that I can at least put some stuff up here. Here you can clearly see the back of Schmidt's head as he sits by a little pond at the Myriad Botanical Gardens.

We spent Friday doing a bit of sightseeing. Playing tour guide is always tough for me (granted, I rarely get the chance) because it usually morphs into a futile attempt at mind-reading. It's me trying to figure out what someone else might find interesting. It puts unspeakable amounts of pressure on me to know that their overall experience essentially relies on how good I am at showing them points of interest. That, combined with the fact that it's been about a minute since I've actually lived in Oklahoma -- and even longer since I've gone around and looked at shit for purely recreational purposes. I haven't stepped foot into many of these places since middle school; a lot of stuff didn't even exist until after I went away to college and other things -- like the OKC bombing memorial -- I just never really got around to seeing.

For Schmidt, the highlight was probably going up to the abandoned 30th floor of the First National Building. We wanted to see if there was some kind of observation point. There isn't. It's just an empty old penthouse that looks like hasn't been used for at least a decade and that no one should really be up there. But we were. And I'll tell you what. Oklahoma City at bird's eye view? Not so spectacular. However, it was kind of a cool little thing to do.

The highlight for me was watching Schmidt's face light up as I took him by Aldi. It was pretty awesome. He said that it was the first time in the States that he didn't feel overwhelmed by a supermarket. That's a little bit how I always felt at Wal-Marts in Germany.

I'm gonna have to wrap up this entry, because I can't think of anything else to write. Last night we kicked it at the Red Rooster with selected members of Crew 52 who happened to be in OKC (shout outs to Kelley D., Kelly C. and Patty D) and today we're going out to Grandma's for barbecue goodness.

Word is bond.

No comments: