Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Brooks on Wheels



At the moment, this is the only (flattering) picture from my birthday party this weekend. The pirate hat and Mardi Gras beads are courtesy of Pickles and were a big hit, while worn in conjunction with my giant Mercedes symbol necklace (not pictured, unfortunately). Here, I'm reading the birthday card from Remy, Cris and Pickles and trying to contain my laughter.

Like I said awhile back, I wanted to do something different this year (read: have an actual party) so I rented a bar and invited some people -- many of whom actually showed up! Jk...the turnout was great and the bar was comfortably full at some point, which warmed my little Mulatto heart.
My big surprise present was that all of my awesome friends pitched in to get me a really nice bike. When I say nice, I mean like -- I probably wouldn't have even bought myself a bike this nice. It's real purdy. I will put up a picture as soon as I take a picture of it...

The awkward part was when people were like, "Go take a spin on your new bike!" This was around midnight, after I'd been drinking for like 4 hours. And in my mind I was thinking, "Hmm...a whole bunch of people gathered in one place, who more or less think that I don't suck...and now they want me to ride on a two-wheeled contraption...drunk." I declined at that particular moment, because the last thing I need to hear in five years is the story of how I busted my head open at my birthday party by falling off my new bike.

However, around four hours (and many more drinks) later, riding my bike didn't seem like such a bad idea at all. At that point, there was only seven people around and they were all drunk, too. I was still slightly worried about the falling down thing, but the experience German bike riders assured me that if I just kept the bike pointed straight and rode as fast as I could, I'd be just fine.

So, I said my goodbyes, mounted my bike and wove my way down the rode -- and toppled over two blocks later. But I don't think anyone saw... or at least I didn't see them...which is almost like the same thing.

After falling down, I got back up and corrected my mistake (faster with less swerving?) and rode straight ahead. So straight ahead, in fact, that I missed my turn and got lost. But I persevered and eventually made it home...just in time for Schmidt to call me and ask if I had made it home ok. Good times.

I will have to have another party like that someday. It was way better than a water balloon fight or a giant sandwich

...though a giant sandwich at the party wouldn't have hurt.

No comments: