Social Icons


Saturday, January 24, 2009

The New Year's Story Part 8

The rest of the Cologne trip was pretty uneventful. We slept in on New Year's Day, ate breakfast and relaxed. Eventually, we all went outside to take the traditional New Year's Day stroll. Actually, I don't even know if this is a tradition. However, walking around with a hangover in "nature" (in this case, the right hand side of the banks of the Rhine River) on the cold, first day of the new year, is one of the things that I associate with German New Year's traditions.

At least that's what some Germans told me one time.

Just as I said I would, I smoothed things over with LF and told him about Conni staying over too. He said he didn't mind, but early on the evening of the 1st, he went to his girlfriend's house and didn't come back until the next day.

The boys made one last trip to Atze's place to retrieve Conni's things. So, as it turned out, I ended up getting my prized wide-tooth comb back. This might seem trivial, but as cute as my corkscrew curls are, I could feel them becoming more and more matted with each passing day. And these tangles that would have had to been cut out, because they couldn't be combed out.

Conni and Frosty returned several hours later bearing gifts of beer and baklava before setting about working in the kitchen to make some pizzas for our dinner. The women sat on the couch watching TV. We all decided that we would leave the next day, but that we would go walk around town together one last night.

The last three days of the trip were so nice that I almost forgot about the hell that I went through the first three days. On Friday (January 2nd), I said goodbye to Christine and Courtney and took Frosty and Conni to the train station. Then, I went back to LF's apartment to make sure everything was straightened up and in order and to help him get the guest mattress back into his VW bus (the guest room btw had a bed and a futon, which is how everyone fit into that one room). We chatted for a bit and I presented him with a new titty calendar for 2009, which we all pitched in to get him as a thank you gift.

Around 3pm, I boarded my train back to Hamburg and started contemplating how the heck I would wrap up all the events of trip into one blog post. Although, as you can see, that didn't happen.

I'm fairly certain that LF will nevertheless add this to his arsenal of stories that he will forever hold over my head. But I don't mind this one so much, since his hospitality pretty much made him the hero of New Year's.

the eeeennnnnnnd. *jazz hands*

No comments: