Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Party over here (F*** you over there)



The 2009 Super Awesome Party Calendar is an idea that's been floating around my head for the past couple of weeks. Not like I have time to be all partyplannericious at the moment (finding a new job has shot its way up to the top of my priority list). However, a lot of my friends in Hamburg happened to be born in 1979 and are turning 30 this year. Turns out that the Smashing Pumpkins were right and "cool kids never have the time". It's become increasingly difficult to get people to come party.

Don't get me wrong, I know and understand the reasons for this, namely that we work all damn week, some (most?) of us with unbearable co-workers and jobs. It's tough enough to muster up the energy to go back day after day and at the end of the week all you want is just a little bit of "me"-time. Plus, if you're gonna have a party, then it can pretty much only happen on Friday or Saturday night...or if you luck out and it's a 3-day-weekend then MAYBE (just maybe) a Sunday night.

Getting people to come to a party has become almost like pulling teeth. The event coordinator is up against some tough competition. Remember the good ol' days, when all it took was the promise of alcohol and a few bags of chips (or in Germany, Erdnussflips)? Ok, it also helped that we weren't all scattered throughout the city.

Even I'm guilty of this, because the way I see it...I've got food and booze in my own apartment and I don't have to walk through the typically cold and/or rainy streets of Hamburg to get to it. I'm fairly sure that a lot of my friends think the same way.

It occurred to me that I might just have to break into my friends' apartments at night, sedate them and literally pull out all of their teeth. After which I would leave a ransom note/invitation that reads, "You've been invited to my party, please come -- IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE YOUR TEETH AGAIN!!"

That might not be the best idea though, because how would I keep track of all those teeth? Also...ew gross.

Aside from the working, the scheduling and the amateur dentistry stuff...I still feel like 2009 should be a party year. Seriously, just give me this one year and I'll leave everyone alone after that. Really, what we need though are more gimmicks, because like I said -- food and booze don't seem to cut it anymore. And really, it could also be a BYOB-type thing (uhh...that means "bring your own booze").

So, who's up for it?

Don't make me get into Schmiddy's tool box...

1 comment:

Darby O'Shea said...

mmmmm Erdnussflips.