Social Icons

Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Anti-Snobbery



Here's a video that I caught on BoingBoing over the weekend. As you can see from the title, it's about how to brew a good cup of coffee. I love coffee and I know many coffee-philes (there's probably an official word for that, but I don't give a fuck). For instance, if you love good coffee and you're in the Oklahoma City metro area, then I highly recommend that you go visit my brother-in-law Dave. Best coffee in OKC, hands down.

In Hamburg, the third best place to get coffee is a secret place that I don't want to divulge because there are already too many a-holes crowding up the place. Suffice it to say, it's in Eppendorf...and it's a mini coffee Mecca. But if you don't want to deal with a bunch of a-holes, then I recommend going to Buche or Schmiddy, for both the companionship and outstanding service (Schmiddy puts extra chocolate sprinkles in the coffee...delightful!).

But I'm not actually here to talk about coffee, people.

The video above is an homage to snobbery of all kind. Coffee is just a red herring in this case.

I really want to talk about music snobbery and, in particular, rap music/hip-hop snobbery. I'll admit, I used to be kind of a hip-hop snob. And believe me, it's hard (HARD) when you hear young people today saying things like:


Click for larger version


The above statement was courtesy of a young lady that I used to babysit when she was merely an infant. She's exactly half my age now.

Do I agree with this opinion? Hell (m****f***in) no. However, this is some music that appeals to this young lady regardless of what I define as "good music" or "music worth listening to". Right off the top of my head I can name at least 10 female emcees that I personally think are better than Ms. Minaj. But doing so would only cater to my own smug sense of superiority. So more power to my young facebook friend. I don't know what she's getting out of it, but I also don't care...as it has fuck all to do with my personal music listening habits.

People go to extreme lengths to be music snobs, comparable to the people in the coffee video. At the end of the day, what do they get out of it? You're drinking some fucking moldy-ass coffee that's been sitting around in a closet under some weed lamps or whatnot for the better part of the month.

The question is: does it really taste better? Or is it head fuckery that makes you think it tastes better because of the process?

I've heard from too many of my age peers about what's supposed to be good music (as opposed to what's not). It's ridiculously subjective.

You can whine and complain all you want, about how music from (insert decade/century here) was so much better/real-er/tight-er than what the youngins are listening to today...that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Other people are equally entitled to theirs.

Just let it be known that you sound like an old-ass fart most of the time.

Not to worry though, because that's the normal aging process. Almost every generation can't stand the generation of shitheads that came before.

So, way to maintain the status quo...give yourself a pat on the back.

That said, instant coffee & these coffee pad pieces of shit are clearly inferior to regular coffee. That's just common knowledge spread throughout time...

That is...until Star Trek replicator technology is developed.

5 comments:

Mofo from do said...

I disagree. My taste in music (and coffee) is clearly far supperior to everyone elses.
Of course you don't have to agree with that. Why don't you step into these concrete slippers and we take a walk on this bridge over there?

lebrookski said...

you're clearly smoking crack

The Beech said...

I never got chocolate sprinkles in my coffee. MOFODO, I'm on to you.
My music comes with 100% more style then yours, so suck on that.
Anyways, better coffee tastes better. Otherwise it wouldn't be better coffee. DUH!

Pickles said...

Dave's coffee is the best & everything else tastes like mud water. However when I've been out drinking all night I think the best coffee is whatever's closest/available/ready at 3am. Just sayin...

Wiebke said...

Pleeeease tell me where the secret place is!! I've been living in E'dorf for 6 years now and I don't think I've found it yet... Pleeease!!