Social Icons

Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

R.A.P. statt E.K.G. - September 2010



Oo Baby, du bist eindeutig viel zu heiiiisss...


I probably could have written my entire thesis about the video above. I'd love to find a version of it that's not completely grainy.

Anyway, here's the September episode of R.A.P. statt E.K.G. I got off the phone with Schmiddy a little while ago and he told me that every time I post a show, I sound like I'm being apologetic. That's never been my intention. In a way, I'm trying to document the evolution of the show, plus give you an idea of what's going on behind the microphone(s).

So far, I think we're on a good path. We've progressed from recording in the apartment to pre-recording in the studio, to mostly (or attempting, as much as possible) doing a live off-the-cuff show). It's all still fairly experimental and by no means perfect. Lucky for me, I don't think I've ever made any pretenses about being perfect.

This month, we had no notes, no plan. We had a special guest, Vera Soulo, a friend of ours. She's a social worker/rapper. Anyway, she came to hang out and we wanted to integrate her into the show. So she shared some of her thoughts about immigration in Germany during Zilv's part. It was kind of random and apropos of nothing, but enjoyable overall.

My hour was full of mostly newer-ish tracks, no real topic this time (playlist after the jump).


A friend of mine, who passed away 2 years ago, would have turned 28 this month, so I dedicated a song to him (I don't think I really made it clear why I was playing this song, this month for him).

Personally, my favorite part of my part of the show I saved for the end. It's my goal at some point to do a show about LGBT hip-hop in Germany. A few years ago, I saw the documentary Pick up the Mic with Toby and -- being the pseudo-hip-hop-hobby-scholar that I am -- I've thought a lot about how a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender hip-hop scene could/would be transferred from a non-American setting (and particularly in Germany). I'm still in the very beginning phases of delving into this issue, but I've really liked what I've heard from and about an emcee named Sookee. Thanks to the ever vigilant efforts of Frosty (who found an interview on freie-radio.net), I played a small clip and the title track from her latest album. However, I forgot to mention that she'll be giving a talk about homophobia in hip-hop (and also a performance) on September 25th (Saturday, 7pm) at Centro Sociale in Hamburg. If you wanna go, hit me up...because I'll be going.

And here it is, your moment of zen:



Oh, and thanks to Schmiddy, I'll be adding a (working) rss feed this week. Patience, my pretties.

Playlist

Herr von Grau - Guido
Damian Davis - Da beat ya
Eins Zwo - Pro & Contra
FlowinImmo - Damenwahl
Jott H. ft. Eskimo & Banshee - Das Haus
Blumentopf - Mann oder Maus
K.I.Z. - Wenn es brennt
Die Orsons - Die Orsons bauen einen Schaukel
L'Avantgarde - Rap hat uns ruiniert
Freundeskreis - A-N-N-A
Danger Dan - Genetisch bedingt
Kamp & Whizz Vienna - Frag mich wofür
Sookee - Interview Clip
Sookee - Quing

No comments: