Social Icons

Pages

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Saturday Night Videos 5

Lately I've taken to supporting artists via crowd-sourcing sites and the like. I recently touched on that a bit in the last show regarding Chali 2na's Against the Current project. Personally, I think it's an easy/convenient way to support indie artists -- particularly, if you like good music and if you're kinda low on funds yourself. Sometimes there a (reasonable) minimum donation amount to get some new music. Sometimes it's a "pay what you can/want".

A few months ago, while perusing The A.V. Club, I read about Rhymesayer artist P.O.S. and how he had to cancel a tour due to medical issues - specifically, because he needs a kidney transplant. Then later - via Facebook posts from other artists - I found out about the fundraiser set up to raise money for his transplant and medical bills. If there's one thing that I learned while living with my ex-ex-ex-roommate, it's that musicians can often be pretty fucked when it comes to medical emergencies. And in the U.S., where the health care system is still pretty fucked up...I dunno...I just wanted to contribute to a good artist that makes good music. And, to top it all off, I even bought the album "We Don't Even Live Here"

So, I hope he gets better and that the next time that Rhymesayers does a showcase in Hamburg that he'll tag along and perform. I would enjoy that.

Here's one of my fave P.O.S. videos (probably played in on the show a few times)

P.O.S. - Purexed


And the first single off of "We Don't Even Live Here"

P.O.S. - Fuck Your Stuff


No comments: