Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

The song of my people

Infectious Classic: The Next Generation

Pickles just sent me a link to a YouTube video. I've been searching for this song...for years. I consider myself to be an above average googler, but could never find it. Sure, maybe I could have made a google alert, but I honestly could not remember any kind of identifying features about the song. Typing "go 'round so" into a search field is not going to reap the best search results. 

Amazingly, somehow and someway, my sister tracked down this "infectious classic" and proceeded to rub her find in my face.

It doesn't even matter, because now I have it.

I don't even think this a major calypso classic. Even though Shadow On the other hand, maybe it is, since I first heard it on a compilation of soca hits back in 2002 or 2003. Still, I think it's a wonderful tune, as it embodies the best and worst parts of trying to have a conversation with a Trinidadian. It reminds me of countless conversations with my mother, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I just want a simple, straightforward answer and instead receive a vague jumble of words. It's simultaneously delightful and maddening.

Also, if you ever wondered why I suck at giving directions... it's because I was taught by people who give directions exactly like in the song.

No comments: