Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Straight Outta Barmbek #4 - Kickin it with the G.W.A.




This photo doesn't quite capture the eyesore that is this kiosk.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I recently had the opportunity to spend a little bit of one-on-one quality time with Wonfuzius, my favorite Korean gangsta. And, might I add, he is looking quite svelte these days ;-)

He came over to my crib, and then we went out and he showed me his (former and my current) 'hood. It was kind of like the long lost sequel to the movie Rush Hour...at least in my mind.

(Click Below for More)

Originally, the plan was to take a picture of the döner stand that I frequent at the Barmbek station. I've been wanting to do this for awhile, ever since I saw the name of the establishment on the canopy. Since I normally approach the stand from a side-angle, it wasn't until I glanced over at the place from the bus stop (where I could see the stand head-on) that I got a glimpse of the sign. I think it's already been firmly established that my maturity level is that of a 15-year-old boy, nevertheless I felt kinda weird snapping a picture of it myself. There are always lots of people around the station and I've developed a very good rapport with my döner guy and I woud have just looked strange. Plus, I'm sure you're probably all familiar with the old adage:

Black person taking pictures = looking out for places to rob;
Asian person taking pictures = tourist

We're like the real-life Minoriteam. It's great.

Anyway, I enlisted the help of Wonfuzius to take the following photo




95% of the time my mind is totally in the gutter.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The second part of our mission was to try to scout out interesting places in the area where one (or two) could spend a nice evening. This turned out to be easier said than done, because, as Wonfuzius pointed out, Barmbek has pretty much always been a blue-collar worker-type area, so there's not much in the way of cozy restaurants or bars.

We do have a Thai Cowboys, which is delicious, but not that cozy and a place called Big Easy, which is comfy-ish, but has a bit too many of those Sambo-type statues for my taste.

(Note: "None" would be my preferable number of Sambo-type statues).

However, it wasn't entirely a lost cause, since after we passed by the PECO Table Tennis shop, I think Wonfuzius discovered his calling to become a member of the Swedish National Table Tennis Team. He hopes to become the "Drew Bledsoe of Table Tennis", mostly because he's already got a jersey that he can wear during the matches.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Oh Sweden...y'all is so crazy...

Lastly, I took a picture of a pretty awesome license plate. You can't really do the whole vanity plate thing in Germany. There's some room for personalization, but you're kinda limited on the things you can spell out, depending on where your car was registered.

Needless to say, I liked the plate on this unassuming, family-type vehicle.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Awesome.

No comments: