Social Icons

Pages

Monday, February 04, 2013

Same shit, different name


Ever since my co-moderator stepped down (back?) from our radio show, I've contemplated changing the name. She's the one that came up with the name in the first place. And, to be honest, I'm not that great at coming up with names for radio shows. My college radio show was just called "The Best German Hip-Hop Show on the Radio". Although it was 100% the truth, it wasn't a particularly catchy or snappy name.

However, even when we were both doing the radio show, R.A.P. statt E.K.G. only made sense in a very high-level/abstract way. Basically, my co-host was a nurse and R.A.P. statt E.K.G. is vaguely "medical" (or medical-sounding) because it means "Rap instead of an electrocardiogram". In a very real medical sense, that would be fucking horrible advice. No, no...go get that electrocardiogram...the rap can wait. I even took up the moniker "Dr. Nic" to reflect that I would be a poor choice in a medical emergency.

As time progressed and I became the sole responsible party, the names -- both the show and my alias -- started to make no sense. But I kept them around. Here's the short list of reasons:

1.) It was enough work coming up with a two-hour playlist every month.
2.) We had about roughly 4,000 fliers and stickers with the R.A.P. statt E.K.G name.
3.) The aforementioned "I-couldn't-think-of-a-better-name-and-Raven's-Happy-Funtime-Rap-Show-is-too-cumbersome" problem.
4.) Didn't want to confuse the few listeners that I do have.
5.) I'm generally just lazy and couldn't be bothered.

But I'm really trying to be less lazy now (!!) and the name was starting to bother me. So, I went for it. In true ravenatory fashion, it's still a work in progress. I still have to get it updated in the printed radio program (too late for February) and on the station website (whenever whoever gets around to doing that). Also, a friend is going to do some new graphics for me, but that might take awhile, since we're both busy people and I'm not paying him any money for it. What you see here is just some crap I came up with on the fly. Not particularly inspired, but...you know...quick.

In the meantime, if you see/hear me referring to something called Turn My Headphones Up. That's my radio show, homie.

I'll still post playlists here and on http://tmhu.tumblr.com and you can also now follow the show on Facebook (since I just crossed the threshold needed to get a username for the page). It's http://facebook.com/tmhup. You no doubt noticed the extra "p" at the end. This is because Facebook has a five-character minimum.

Anyway, I generally try to post videos or artist interviews/articles while the show is going on. Check it all out and don't forget to listen on Friday.

No comments: