Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Time & Patience


Where did you go, 2015?

I won't be able to post this until I've returned to Hamburg and the warm embrace of our sofa and wifi connection. I'm currently writing this from Duncan's stepmother's holiday flat in Benalmádena, Spain. It's a few hundred meters away from a sunny beach on the Mediterranean and I was just rescued from the terrace (seen above), where I spent an unplanned, hour-long tanning session... because I accidentally locked myself outside. (Duncan was away running errands)

Luckily, I had brought my cell phone out there with me, so help was just a Whatsapp message (and a 40-minute drive) away. While waiting for the calvary, I contemplated the unbelievable events of the past year that led to me being locked out of an apartment with a gorgeous view on the southern coast of Spain with 20°C weather on December 31st.

I've managed to sustain a pretty sweet streak for about a year, something that seemed so far out of the realm of possibility for me that (even now) I'm still not used to it as yet. I'm not quite sure what to chalk up to sheer right place/right time/right connection luck and what can be attributed to my own hard work and tenacity. They're definitely both at play. I've been presented with some awesome opportunities this year and I'm proud of myself for judo chopping them to the face (in the good way... ?)



*Cough cough* *Ahem*

For 2016, I'd not only like to continue this streak, I want it to become my new normal. That is to say, I don't want to switch jobs, apartments, and relationships every year, but rather that I want to work on maintaining stability and a feeling of personal satisfaction in those areas. It's a little bit of that happiness rules of thirds crap, but I don't think it's all complete bunk.

While I don't have a recipe for how to do this, I've at least seen it happen and function in my life. It's not the elusive unicorn that I previously believed it to be. And... well... that's at least a good enough place for me to start.


With that said, let's see where the adventure takes me this year!

Happy New Year, Frohes Neues y Feliz año nuevo!

No comments: