Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

The Weak-end



The good thing about getting laid off with a delayed termination date is that any fear you might have about making career-ending mistakes pretty much disappears. The end is in sight and it's not really like you can get double fired or laid off again and by this point I feel like showing up is more or less a favor, since I technically got a shitload of vacation days just begging to be used up.

I got a new job; however, my future is kind of in the hands of the German employment office (again). So with my motivation at my old (but still current?) company at an all time low and my anxiety re: German bureaucracy at an all time high, I've turned my attention to somewhat frivolous matters: namely, the planning of my 27th birthday party. I figure this way, if everything works out, then I totally have something to look forward to...and if it doesn't...well, then fuck it.

(Click Below For More)

As I previously mentioned, I'm in the market for a third-party party location, in which I can host the blessed event. And I think I've found it within the walls of the Sünde Bar. Big enough, but not too big. The party can be private. Affordable enough for me to shell out multiple rounds of drinks for the early arrivers. Large booze selection, including Tannenzäpfle on tap. Foosball table. Space for danciness. An area for smokers. No need for me to clean up... AND worse comes to worse, I can walk home from there quite easily.

I made an appointment on Friday to stop by and check out the facilities. Schmidt came with me out of boredom (on his part). The people who run the place are super nice, which makes me want to celebrate my birthday there even more. So, cross your fingers that it all works out. If you cross hard enough, then I'll even make sure to send you an invitation!

After our little location scouting trip, Schmidt and I decided to do something that we haven't done in a long time: aimlessly wander around the Reeperbahn while drinking beer. It doesn't sound like much, but I think Schmidt and I have the best conversations when we do this. We stopped at a little kiosk/convenience store to grab some beer and I found the product pictured above.

At first, I only saw the "Ninja Beef" part, which totally made my night all on its own. It wasn't until later that I noticed the "Yayo" in the ninja's teeth. It's considerably more expensive than Chicken Smack, but makes up for the price with it's entertainment value. But let's not forget about the taste -- do you remember that time when that group of ninjas took over the local youth center, only to be defeated by a boatload of pirates? It tastes kind of like that. Good, but not great and definitely not better than the Tom Yum Extra Spicy noodles you can get at Penny. It all just goes to show that you can't trust a cocaine ninja:



Schmidt and I ended up at some kind of metal bar that night. The name of the place had something to do with monkeys. It was cool, if not more than a little empty. Hamburg's smoking ban has greatly reduced the number of people amusing themselves in the Red Light District, which is either a plus or a minus depending on which side of the debate you're on...

Overall, if I were to sum up the weekend's happenings, I would do it in song.

And that song would be "Wind of Change" by the Scorpions.

Good Night!

No comments: